Head Field Guide 5* lodge Greater Kruger.
To effectively manage and co-ordinate all aspects of the game viewing experience and Conservation team in line with our agreed standards. To operate in accordance with company policy and objectives whilst maximising the guest experience and at the same time ensuring budgets are met. To be working closely with the General Managers to effectively conserve the fauna and flora on the lodge property with a high regard for ecological values.
Management of the team:
- To manage the Field team consisting of Field Guides and Trackers in line with the lodge Values and the VLE Management of People Policy
- Responsible for the performance and motivation of the team through day-to-day feedback and carrying out regular performance and development reviews in line with the P&D review schedule
- Where applicable, implement the disciplinary and grievance procedures in a fair and consistent manner and in consultation with the General Managers.
- Ensure that allocations and time off are demonstrably fair and equitable
- To liaise with management and People & Welfare department on welfare and performance matters for the team.
- Responsible for the training and development of the team to ensure effective job performance and delivery of standards of service and product.
- Ensure daily contact with the entire team, including Trackers
- Ensure rangers and Trackers are busy when not driving, and not sitting at home. When a ranger and tracker are not driving it does not mean that it’s a day off.
- To ensure the highest level of personal presentation at all times i.e. Uniforms etc in order to proudly ascertain that the team maintains the same level of personal presentation.
- Ensure Uniform for the team is regularly replaced as necessary in line with budget and obtain approval from General Managers on any changes to specification of uniform to ensure quality and consistency of product.
- Maintenance of Vehicles
Ensure that the Game Viewers are well maintained, that the fabric of the vehicles are of the highest standard and that day to day checks and regular services are carried out to achieve this. To ensure that the company Policy and Procedure is strictly adhered to with regard to vehicles and authorised Drivers.
• Carry out regular checks on all Game Drive Vehicles, ensuring that the highest standard is maintained.
• Ensure records are kept to allow for follow up of vehicle services/maintenance
• Refer any major issues to the General Managers.
• Carry out regular checks on Log books to ensure they’re kept up-to-date and filled in according to policy
• To ensure that all members of the field team are up-to-date with Licenses and PDP’s, always ensuring that the company is never at risk of disobeying the law.
Rifles and Ammunition
Ensure that the Rifles are well maintained, that the fabric of the Rifles are of the highest standard and that day-to-day safety checks and regular services are carried out to achieve this. To ensure that the company Policy and Procedure is strictly adhered to with regard to use and storage of Rifles and ammunition, always ensuring that the company is never at risk of disobeying the law.
- Carry out regular checks on all Rifles, ensuring that the highest standard is maintained.
- Ensure that the Rifle Register is kept up to date
- Ensure that safes and storage facilities meet statutory requirements at all times
- Ensure that all firearms’ licenses are up to date
- Ensure that all rangers are accredited with POSLEC qualifications
- Ensure that regular shooting practice is carried out and recorded.
- To maintain safety on the rifle range at all times.
- Communicate to General Manager, SSW and relevant lodges that shooting practice is going to place.
- Report any risks of non-compliance to the General Managers with immediate effect
Vehicle Viewing Aids/Equipment/Facilities
Ensure that the equipment and vehicle viewing aids (first aid kits, cooler boxes, books, binoculars, blankets, ponchos, spotlights etc.) and facilities provided for our guests are in line with our standards.
- Carry out inventory counts of all equipment according to the schedule.
- Ensure that all items are used and stored effectively to prevent damage, breakage or loss.
- Order items to maintain par stocks with regard for Stores procedures, delivery timescales and budget.
- Liaise with General Managers on any changes to specification of equipment to ensure quality and consistency of product.
- Where inventory counts or ordering are delegated, the Head Field Guide must oversee and countersign.
- To carry out regular checks of observatory and Telescope to ensure that the premises is well maintained and that the Telescope is maintained to the highest standard
- To ensure all accidents are reported and incident reports compiled and insurance claims are processed where applicable according to company policy
Effective communication at all levels within the team and with other departments as well as Central Services and support departments (e.g. maintenance/workshops etc.)
- Follow the meeting schedule and prepare contributions to ensure that all relevant matters are addressed. (includes attending HOD & SSW meetings)
- Hold team meetings and one-to-one’s with your team on a regular basis – to include trackers.
- Ensure that information given at meetings is cascaded to your team members as appropriate.
- Ensure that when taking decisions, all relevant parties are advised in a timely manner to allow for planning and scheduling.
- Communicate relevant issues to the General Managers in a timely manner.
- Ensure that a member of both the Rangers and the Trackers teams represents the department at SCC meetings
- Ensure that memos posted are shared with your team
- To be on stand-by or arrange a stand-by to always be contactable by radio/mobile phone to assist with arrivals, departures, daily errands and emergencies, in particular fire and animal related issues
- To compile a month end report for the General Managers by the 5th of each month
- To ensure a detailed handover is compiled for your assistant and ensure the department is handed over sufficiently prior to going on leave, ensuring there is sufficient time for handover both prior to and upon return from leave
- To keep up-to-date with the the lodge Blog and ensure the team is active on the blog
- To work closely with other Head Field Guides in the Western Sector to ensure a harmonious atmosphere out in the field
- To support Pride ‘n Purpose and encourage team involvement
Guest Game Viewing Experience & Standards
Ensure the guest experience meets our standards and the guests expectations are met and exceeded where possible through an exceptional Game Viewing delivery
- To co-ordinate and oversee all decisions relating to day-to-day delivery of the guest game viewing experience.
- To ensure all field guides meet and greet guests on arrival and departure.
- Maintain the game drive standards and procedures as documented and ensure consistency throughout the team to curb service delivery discrepancies
- To adhere to SSW standard operating procedures and make sure all the lodge rangers are aware of the western sector SOP’s. the lodge must lead by example.
- Maintain radio communication procedures in line with policy and ensure consistency throughout the team to curb discrepancies
- To hold regular reviews in conjunction with General Managers to ensure highest standards are maintained, and appropriate changes are agreed, documented and training given as necessary.
- Join drives where appropriate to maintain standards with regard to Radio use, ‘big fiving’, drink stop location and set-up, etc.
- To manage guest expectations and requests (and help the team to manage this) in line with our ability to provide the best possible experience.
- To actively seek guest feedback whilst guests are in camp and to respond in an appropriate manner.
- To investigate and resolve any guest complaints where appropriate and consult with the General Managers where necessary, always bringing guest unhappiness to the GM’s attention
- To review guest feedback forms and take action where appropriate, sharing positive and constructive feedback with the team.
- To ensure the complete the lodge Experience is offered to guests, be it walks, observatory, wine cellar and promoting other activities such as spa, gift shop and Pride N’ Purpose.
- To plan effective allocations to facilitate guest needs according to nationality, family size, special requests and general guests requirements to the best of your ability.
- To be available to host or dine with guests when invited or required; to ensure the guides team comply to this as well
- To communicate relevant guest issues to the Lodge team or General Managers as appropriate
Animal safety procedures/Security/ Health & Safety
Ensure the security and health & safety of our guests, staff and other visitors by following all company procedures. To ensure guest and staff safety with regard to Animals and support team members to ensure guest compliance.
- Carry out regular checks and review safety aspects of the field guide’s role with regard to hazards or dangerous practices; action and report any concerns to the General Managers without delay
- Ensure all First Aid Kits and fire fighting equipment allocated to your team are kept stocked and checked on a regular basis according to Policy, ensuring that health & safety checklists are completed as per procedure
- Compile action plans and carry out tasks as appropriate based on debriefs from RISK assessment company and six-monthly statutory audits.
- Ensure all guests are fully briefed on animal safety as part of pre-drive and pre-walk briefings and support team members to ensure guest compliance.
- Take immediate action on any issue that impacts on such matters that may result in serious injury and communicate issues and actions to General Managers.
- Ensure company procedures relating to game drive/walk procedures/security/ health & safety are followed and immediately report any discrepancies.
- To fully participate and fulfil obligations as a member of the Health & Safety committee.
- To form part of the new staff induction process, ensuring all new starters are briefed on animal safety and conduct and sign off on the up/down Rock Road driving training.
Training, Qualifications and Legal Implications
Ensure the conservation team fulfils all legal and statutory requirements in terms of being field guides and maintain a legally qualified team of guides & trackers.
Ensure entire team is compliant to the following qualifications:
- Drivers Licenses
- PDP Licenses
- First Aid Training
- All rangers need to be striving for FGASA level 3
Here’s the deal
- Permanent Employment
- Basic Salary dependant on level of qualification starting at R11 500 p/month
- Live-in, basic, fully furnished accommodation
- Excellent training opportunities funded by company
- R1 037.00 food allowance over and above salary
- Individual gratuities left by guests
- 50% Company Contribution on Medical Aid
- 50% Company Contribution on Pension Fund
- 20 Bed nights for family and friends annually at R500 p/p/p/night
- Uniform provided
Please submit a brief motivation and CV in Word format only and detailsof the position you are applying for?
Please include any written references and current contact telephone numbers and email addresses for previous employers, for referencing purposes.
When listing previous employer experience please list your current or latest position FIRST followed by previous positions in descending order. Please give details on the following if possible? What is your availability for interviews and do you have transport for them?
Do you have a notice period or preferred starting date to commence employment? Where is your home base and where are you situated now? If you are currently employed do you have a particular reason for wanting to leave or resigned & does your employer know you are leaving? Please only apply for this vacancy if you fit the profile? If you have a particular requirement or area of preference please let us know and we will do our best to find you the most suitable position. Applications to be accompanied by a resume, certificates will be required at an interview.
Please email your CV in Word format only directly for Attention Rob Tappe (Eco Landela Lodge-placements)
· Salary: Starting R11500 live in -single
· Location: South Africa
· Date Posted: 20 Jan 2014
· Employer type: Game Farm & Lodge