"Thanks to Lodgestaff.com I found an assistant management couple and am really excited to add them to our staff. I will always make use of this excellent service available to the South African hospitality industry." Louisa Strydom, Riverside Lodge, Aliwal North
"I visit lodgestaff.com at least once a week, it’s a great service you offer & I always find something to read or follow up on, keep up the good work." Shane Tintinger, TsAfrika Catering Solutions
Description: The General Manager (GM) is responsible for the day-to-day management of the resort and its staff. They have commercial accountability for budgeting and financial management, planning, organising and directing all hotel services, including front-of-house (reception, concierge, reservations), food and beverage operations, and housekeeping.
While taking a strategic overview and planning ahead to maximise profits, the manager must also pay attention to the details, setting the example for staff to deliver a standard of service and presentation that meets guests' needs and expectations. Business and people management are equally important elements
Duties and responsibilities
Guard the efficiency/productivity and the company results:
Draw up plans and budget concepts (revenues, costs, etc. );
Safeguard the realization, tracing and adjustment of deviations;
Developing improvement actions, carry out costs savings;
Guard/ controlling of cost price
Delivering of data and proposals for the budgets and investments.
Safeguard quality of operations (internal & external audits)
Manage the various Department Heads
Coordinate planning of Department Heads and Assistant Managers with regard to time-tables, work schedules, employment of employees within the different services; solving of bottle necks;
Coordination of the execution of activities via instructions to the Heads of Departments/ Assistant Managers, supervision of the execution;
Determination of the workforce, recruitment and hiring of new staff, supervision of sufficient introduction, execution of performance reviews and training of staff.
Be accountable for responsibilities of department heads in their absence.
Implement the SOPs optimally in the resort and act as a flag ship establishment for the brand.
Prepare a monthly financial reporting. Ensure an adequate administration, for the outgoing and incoming invoices, for the payment of invoices and for drawing up periodical management data. Justify deviations and differences.
Leading various internal and external meetings and committees and required by the group and statutory regulations
Supervise the fulfillment of the regulations of the employment.
Responsible for preparation of property budget and forecasts.
Manages labour standards and property level expenses to achieve maximum flow through to the bottom line profit.
Explains and manages financial activities.
Participates and monitors monthly inventory of supplies and equipment. Ensures purchases made are within budget and by approved vendors. Sales
Works with Regional Director of Sales to manage all sales activities of the property and meet revenue objectives.
Identifies and seeks out potential business in local market.
Maintains relationships with local companies and key people to increase visibility within the local market.
Coordinates and implements sales and marketing activities of the property.
Ensure +85% guest satisfaction throughout property.
Ensures that all guest related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with the company's goals and objectives.
Recruits qualified applicants. Trains employees in accordance with company standards.
Motivates and gives direction to all employees.
Communicates all policies and procedures to entire staff. Conducts regular meetings to provide various information including company communications, policy reviews, local property activities, goals, etc.
Ensures that employee related issues are resolved in a manner consistent with company policies.
Perform other duties which are requested by the company.
Skills/Requirements: Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- General education related to hospitality, on middle and higher management level.
- At least 3-5 years' experience within the hotel/lodge/ property industry in Hotel Management.
- Excellent written English and copy-writing skills.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience with several hotel operation systems
- Skillful in project planning/ tasks and able to prioritize projects/ tasks.
- Highly managerial capacities
- Highly organized and efficient individual
- Pro-active and result driven Flexible
- Both team player and captain (hands-on)
- Ability to adapt vision and proven flexibility
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in planning, resource allocation, leadership, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security — Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
Time Management — Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Possible night shifts
Weekend, Sunday and public holiday shifts
· Reference: LS-75641-2002 · Salary: 35 000 - 45 000 · Country: South Africa · Province: Western Cape · Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 · Employer type: Hotel
A beautiful Lodge situated 3 hours away from Cape Town.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Overseeing the efficient management and running of all hospitality departments and lodges;
- Filling in as manager at specific lodges when there is a shortage of managers;
- Overseeing of daily lodge routines, including ad hoc checks on rooms, stock take attendances, special guest requirements, petty cash checks, etc. ;
- Acting as a substitute for the Hospitality manager when not available;
- Maintaining and improving agreed physical, behavioral and quality standards at the lodges;
- Prioritizing guest relations in a courteous and professional manner at all times;
- Responsibility for managing service standards and maintenance in relation to rooms and facilities at the lodges;
- Monitoring of food and beverage services and standards and addressing any issues that arise;
- Effective financial management in order to maximise profits and control costs in line with budgets for each hospitality department
- Assisting with prioritizing capital expenditure requirements, replacements and repairs and maintenance for the lodges
- Submitting of any required financial reporting on a timely basis;
- Reviewing and analysis of monthly results to identify areas where appropriate action is required to rectify poor performance;
- Responsibility for all lodge stock and related tasks;
- Coordinating all gate transfers (Vehicles & Drivers);
- Awareness of current trends in the industry in order to make recommendations as to how these could be implemented for the benefit of the company;
- Maintaining of effective working relationships with line and staff functions;
- Implementing and monitoring of the company performance appraisal procedures for all lodge management;
- Ensuring that lodge managers conduct regular performance appraisals and draw up appropriate action and developmental training plans for their subordinate line staff;
- Appropriate follow up of appraisal processes and related outcomes;
- Encouraging on-going development and high morale of the workforce through training, communication and interactions;
- Ensuring effective communication between the lodge and head office, management and staff;
- Assisting with all HR administration in relation to staff working hours, leave, etc. ;
- Responsibility for all ensuring all staff are appropriately trained and that on the job training is provided, including maintenance of training registers.
Work cycle: 21 days on - 7 days' off 1 Bedroom house 1 x Meal per day Pension fund contribution.
Ability to work under stress Proactive - ability to think on your feet Problem solving ability Leadership skills Excellent communication skills Keen attention to detail (must be detailed orientated) Well spoken and presentable
Matric Hospitality diploma 5 years' minimum in a Senior Lodge Manager / Assistant Hospitality Manager position Extensive knowledge of Opera / Micros / GAAP / Semper Extensive knowledge of MS Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook Fluent in English & Afrikaans Valid drivers license
· Reference: LS-75602-1009 · Salary: R15 000 · Country: South Africa · Province: Western Cape · Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 · Employer type: Hotel
The host/ hostess will be required to do reservations / other admin jobs, booking in and out of lodge, overseeing staff, general hygiene and work under executive chef (30 years experience). Basic training under the chef will also count as a huge plus. As the face of the company, interact with guests, waiter and solve small problems that might arise. He/ she should look presentable at any given time.
Lodge bookings will be 6 - 10 people and is based on exclusive and luxurious stay for the clients. For every group different needs and working schedule, as the group require. Host/ Hostess should be able to deal with day to day activities, interactions and be able to handle the group with graceful and respectful knowledge.
Book Keeping & Admin, Lodge Experience, Waitron & Host/ Hostess, Entertainment Industry, Presentability: 1 year
Required licence or certification:
· Reference: LS-75495-2811 · Salary: R5 000 depending on experience · Country: South Africa · Province: Western Cape · Date Posted: 28 Feb 2017 · Employer type: Game Farm & Lodge
A small boutique 5* Lodge (Max 12 Guests). Situated close to Hermanus Lagoon in the Overberg.
Reporting to: General Manager
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, hard working with a PASSION for people and the industry. The position will involve the overall day to day running of the lodge and the management of lodge staff.
Duties: 1. Guest Care and relations 2. Management of all lodge staff, operations and functions, and ensuring that all tasks are carried out by the respective staff and within the schedules prescribed. 3. Accurate and efficient co-ordination with the General Manager, Head Chef, Farm Manager and other Staff in the planning and implementation of all hospitality functions and operations for accommodations, execution of food service, special events and conferences. 4. Training of staff and instilling a team approach in delivering excellent “Enlightened Hospitality” to all guests and visitors to the property. 5. The friendly & considerate assistance of all clients, and rectification of clients' problems, where necessary. 6. Management of all administrative duties related to the Lodge, to include: Point of Sale, stock control, guest reservations, guest check-ins and check-outs. Stock ordering and stock takes. 7. Management of all housekeeping and laundry at the lodge. 8. Oversight of Butler service and training. 9. Tasks, dictated by the operational requirements of the employer; 10. Hosting of guest and to ensure all guest requests are attended to promptly 11. Guest bills and POS entries. Collect payments from guest, and record data pertaining to funds and expenditures and prepare required paperwork pertaining to departmental functions 12. Assist with weddings and events 13. Greet and register Lodge guests. 14. Observe and monitor staff performance in order to ensure efficient operations and adherence to facility's policies and procedures. 15. Inspect guest rooms, public areas, and grounds for cleanliness and appearance. 16. Provide assistance to staff members by performing activities such as inspecting rooms, setting tables and guest delights 17. Assist with arranging external and onsite guest activities 18. Relieve General Manager when on leave
Live in, uniform. A couple will be considered if partner is a good Sous Chef (Fine Dining).
Previous Lodge management experience in a similar environment essential. Computer literate. Passion for the people and the hospitality industry. Self-starter and can use own initiative. Sober habits that can cope with pressure and dead lines. Working experience in a similar or same position. Strong knowledge of service industry. Excellent communication and management skills essential. Thorough understanding of the hospitality industry. Valid driver's license required. Team player and leadership qualities.
Relevant Hospitality Management training and qualifications will prove advantageous.
· Reference: LS-75471-2310 · Salary: R8 000 – R12 000 · Country: South Africa · Province: Western Cape · Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 · Employer type: Game Farm & Lodge
Click on the page numbers below to see the next page of results. 1
Featured Lodgestaff Jobs
Spa Therapist - Beach Lodge Malawi
Salary: $850 Dep on exp + accom & meals Kayamawa Lodge on Likoma Island is currently looking for a mature and experienced professional female Therapist to join their team for the 2017 season. Read More & apply
Front Office And Reservations - Hartbeespoortdam
Salary: R5 000 dep on exp. We need someone with good people and telephone skills to handle telephone, walk ins and email booking enquiries, as well as other FOH functions.Read More...
Field Guide - Johannesburg/Kruger
Salary: Neg dep on exp and qualifications. Safari operator requires permanent FGASA level 1 guides to conduct guided vehicle safaris in National Parks and in a big 5 environment.Read More...
Senior Chef - Stanford
Salary: Dep on experience. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced chef who is enthusiastic, hard working with a passion for creating exciting food.Read More...
Direct Sales Consultant - Cape Town City Centre
Salary:Dep on Experience + Comm. One of the largest Adventure Tour Companies in Africa is seek a dynamic and experienced person to join their vibrant team of DIRECT SALES consultants. Read More...